Home | E-mail | Chat | E-Greetings | Movies | Music | Downloads | Matrimonial | Tourism | City Info | Account Info
 NanjilOnline > Tourism > Udaiyagiri Fort
 Welcome Guest!  
nanjilonline.com India Search
 

Tourism
Railways
Pilgrim centre
Kanyakumari
Thirparappu
Mattur bridge
Padmanabapuram
Kaalikesam
Colachel
Pechiparai
Udayagiri fort
Vattakottai
Muttom beach
Weather
Photo Gallery
 
 
Channels
Movie zone
Music zone
E-Greetings
Matrimonial
Notepad
Games
News
Cricket
Jokes
Fun zone
Ringtones
Tourism
Pin Codes
Horoscope
Downloads
Baby names
STD Codes
Pilgrim centre
Wallpapers
 
 


Udayagiri Fort

This fort is located at a distance of 14kms. from Nagercoil. This was the vital military station of the Travancore rulers, when Padmanabapuram was capital of Travancore. It was stated to have been originally built in the year 1600 AD, and then Marthanda varma rebuilt it. It is stated that a brass gun of 16 feet long bored found inside the fort could not be moved even a few years by1200 persons with the help of 19 elephants.

East India company's troops were stationed there till the middle of the 19th century. The fort enclosed with an area of about 90 acres and contains an isolated hill, which afford a panaromic view of the surrounding area. The tombs of Dalhousie, his wife and his son can be seen, inside a partly ruined chapel inside of the fort.

About Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Advertise with Us | Log out


Active Users : 10

Site Conceptualised Designed Developed and Maintained by Karthik Nataraaj
Site Optimised to view in 800 x 600 Resolution | Best viewed with Internet Explorer 5.x or later.